Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
FRAMEWORK FOCUS: Information Has Value
Information possesses several dimensions of value, including as a commodity, as a means of education, as a means to influence, and as a means of negotiating and understanding the world. Legal and socioeconomic interests influence information gathering and distribution.
Key sentence: The novice learner may struggle to understand the diverse values of information in an environment where "free" information and related services are plentiful and the concept of intellectual property is first encountered through rules of citation or warnings about plagiarism and copyright law.
Learners who are developing their information literate abilities
- give credit to the original ideas of others through proper attribution and citation;
- understand that intellectual property is a legal and social construct that varies by culture;
- articulate the purpose and distinguishing characteristics of copyright, fair use, open access, and the public domain;
- understand how and why some individuals or groups of individuals may be underrepresented or systematically marginalized within the systems that produce and disseminate information;
- recognize issues of access or lack of access to information sources;
- decide where and how their information is published;
- understand how the commodification of their personal information and online interactions affects the information they receive and the information they produce or disseminate online;
- make informed choices regarding their online actions in full awareness of issues related to privacy and the commodification of personal information.
- Critical evaluation of open-source versus subscription resources
- Value of bibliographies and citation formats
- Use of interlibrary loan
- RefWorks as a citation management tool