Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Global Terrorism Database (GTD) is an open-source database including information on terrorist events around the world from 1970 through 2011 (with annual updates planned for the future). Unlike many other event databases, the GTD includes systematic data on domestic as well as international terrorist incidents that have occurred during this time period and now includes more than 104,000 cases.
Good to Know
- There is a lag time before information is released on the website which means that the current year and previous year's data may not be available.
- The Global Terrorism Database (GTD) is limited to acts of non-state terrorism
Searching GTD: Users have three different ways to search for GTD incidents using the website: browsing, keyword search, and the advanced search wizard.
- Browsing: The least flexible search. Users are given the option to generate a list of all GTD incidents (1970-2008) that share one characteristic.
- Keywords: Search all text associated with incident descriptions and variables. Do not use quotation marks or apostrophes in this search field.
- Advanced Search: Use the search wizard to identify search parameters and to conduct search.