Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Provides access to editorially reviewed critical analyses, brief plot summaries, and extended character profiles covering works by long and short fiction writers, poets, dramatists, essayists, and philosophers as well as biographical essays on more than 3,500 different authors.
Good to Know
This database includes:
- Masterplots, Masterplots II, Cyclopedia of World Authors, Cyclopedia of Literary Characters , Magill's Literary Annual 1990-2002, Magill's Guide to Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature, Magill Book Reviews, Critical Surveys, Magill’s Choice: Notable Poets, Magill’s Choice: Shakespeare, Magill’s Choice: 100 Masters of Mystery and Detective Fiction, and World Philosophers and Their Works.
- Enter the keyword, name of an author or character, title of a book, story, or play in the search box.
- Enclose terms in quotation marks to search for exact phrases: “great expectations”.
- To search for an author and title together, put and between the two terms: Dickens and “Great Expectations”.
- Use an asterisk (*) at the end of a word root to find all variants: comput* will find computer, computers, computing, etc.
- To narrow your results, use the options located to the left of the results list.